Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Fairy Tale within a Fairy Tale

Rounding out our set of consecutive Adventures of Peter Wheat is issue #29, as always supplied ever-generously by OtherEric of the Digital Comic Museum:
















OtherEric:

You're probably sick of me trying vainly to come up with new words to praise Kelly at this point, so for this issue I'll stick to noting how Kelly plays with scale yet again in this one; using larger panels almost every time the beanstalk or the giant is shown, often going for two tiers instead of three. I also like the extreme perspective and oversized lettering on page 11.

Taken as a whole, these issues show Kelly trying all sorts of different things to contrast sizes and I find it amazing to see. It never gets in the way of telling the stories, though—it took me a while to realize it was even there.

I hope you've enjoyed this run of books. I thank Thom again for doing it, and hopefully I (or somebody else) will have more issues to share soon!

Thom:

And thank you OtherEric for the time, expense, and effort of sharing Kelly's Peter Wheat with us. I'll bet we have some more stories soon!

Regarding this story, I'm ready to say that is Seminole Sam, the fox from Pogo's Okefenokee, wandering afield, showing the proximity of Kelly's Whirlds.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmman! I needed this today for sure. Makes the real world toll'able when there's something like this at the end of the day.

    Thanks again, guys for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad this came in handy for you Unca Jeff.

    I was bone tired when I was cleaning this story up for posting, but the artwork actually relaxed me as I went along, so I knows whats ya mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that was just irresponsible parenting!

    Those chickens should be ashamed of themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now Daniel, things were different for chickens in those days.

    ReplyDelete